Apply for
VISA to India

German Version

Need information on visas?
Student Visa

  • Student visa is applicable to bonafide students to pursue on-campus, full time (structured) courses at educational institutions/ university or technological institute, take part in an academic exchange program duly recognized by statutory regulatory body and have acquired statutory authorization to conduct the course(s) complying with GST regulations for regular studies at recognized institutions in India and to persons going for studying Yoga, Vedic Culture, Indian systems of dance/music/Buddhist studies, etc., professors or scholars intending to conduct research work in India and applicants intending to pursue internship in an Indian Company/Educational Institution/NGO, Foreign Missions/Posts and foreign government organizations in India. The visa is valid for the period of study up to a maximum period of five years.
    • Sub Categories of Student Visa:
      • S-1: For higher education (including in South Asian University and Nalanda University), provisional student visa, for short term courses and those coming under Student Exchange Programme.
      • S-2: For school education
      • S-3: For studies in Yoga, Vedic culture and Indian systems of Music and Dance and Buddhist studies
      • S-4: For Theological studies and for Missionary students
      • S-5: For Research scholar, visiting Research faculty, research scholar on bilateral exchange programme, members of Botanical, Scientific, Anthropological etc expeditions
      • S-6: For those coming for internship in India (including those coming under French VIE programme).
      • S-1X/S-3X/S-5X: For dependents of those coming under S-1 and S-3 and S-5 visas.
  • Registration with FRRO/FRO having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay is required within 14 days from the date of arrival, if visa is issued for more than 6 months.
  • Student (S-6) visa is also granted to those intending to pursue internship in Indian companies/educational institutions/NGOs/foreign Missions or Posts in India/foreign Government organisations sponsoring the foreign national/Indian and foreign media organizations valid up to a period of one year.
  • S-6 Visa will be granted (a) at any time during the course of study, or (b) after completion of graduation/ post graduation but the gap between completion of graduation/post graduation and the commencement of the internship should not be more than two years.
  • In case the internship is with a Company, the internee should draw a minimum remuneration of INR 3,60,000 per annum. There will be no minimum salary limit in the case of internship in educational institutions and NGOs. Earnings from internship with Indian Companies/Educational Institutions/NGOs will be subject to the Indian Income Tax regulations.
  • Under no circumstances, the intern will be allowed to take up employment in India immediately after completion of the internship programme.
  • Student (S-6) visa for Internship at German Missions in India:
  • Application must be supported by the Verbal note from Foreign office of Germany and Verbal note/ official letter from concerned German mission in India addressed to Minister (Consular).
  • Visa applications with official Passport may be issued official visa on gratis basis. However, if regular passport holder, then Student (S-6) visa for internship may be issued after seeking the clearance.
  • Registration with Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) is required within 14 days of arrival in India, if continuous stay is for more than 6 months.

Documents required

  • Valid Passport for at least 6 months duration and two blank pages.
  • One photograph. For photo requirements, visit
  • Printout of the online application form duly signed.
  • Letter of admission from a recognised Indian educational institution with duration of the course.
  • Invitation letter from the company/organization/agency based in India sponsoring the applicant for the internship programme.
  • A letter from the concerned institute in Germany.
  • Proof of registration of the company/organisation in India.
  • A letter of financial support/ Bank statement from parent/guardian.
  • No objection letter from Parents to study abroad for applicants below 18  years.
  • To note: Grant of Intern visa for those intending to pursue internship in NGOs will be subject to prior clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs. Please apply for the visa well in advance, as the process can take time.

  Student Visa is also granted for Research work up to a maximum period of three years.

  • The Visa can also be issued to foreign professors, teachers and scholars who are invited as visiting faculty on an invitation from a Central educational institution or publicly funded State University.
  • Grant of S Visa to the members of Botanical, Scientific, Anthropological etc., expedition would be subject to approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs. The applicants are advised to apply at least four months in advance, giving full information on the following points :
  • (a): Name, nationality and bio-data of the persons forming the party ;
  • (b) the areas which the party desires to visit in India ;
  •  (c) the purpose of the expedition ;
  • (d) the proposed duration of stay in India ;
  • (e) details of the manner in which the expedition is proposed to be financed ;
  • (f) if any foreign organization is sponsoring the expedition, full background material about the sponsor; and (g) the name of the Indian collaborator/institution, if any, connected with the organization of the expedition. 
  • Members of the expedition may be required to take with them a liaison officer deputed by the agency concerned of the Government of India. Approval of the designated agency of the Government of India will also be necessary to take out of India any specimens collected during the expedition as per conditions prescribed by the Ministry of Science & Technology and other agencies concerned.
  • Such expeditions will NOT be permitted to visit any protected, restricted or tribal area without the specific permission of the Ministry of Home Affairs. 
  • Registration with FRRO/FRO having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay is required within 14 days from the date of arrival if visa is issued for more than 6 months.

Additional documents required for Research related work

  • Submission of subject of research project, details of places to be visited, previous visits, whether the scholar has secured admission to a recognized or reputed institution and evidence of financial resources along with the application.
  • Letter of admission from the Indian institutions.
  • Additional Form to be filled up and with the stamp and seal of the inviting institute in India
  • In cases which involve research on subjects related to the foreigner’s own country, the research scholar will be required to furnish a brief synopsis of the research proposal in about 150 words and giving full justification (including the benefit he/she would get) for doing the research in India.
  • Invitation letter for foreigners who are invited as visiting faculty.
Note: Any German document must be officially translated into English.

  Design & Developed by  Logicopedia